Thursday, September 16, 2010

Viva Mexico!!!

On this day Mexicans all over the world celebrate Mexico's Independence from Spanish rule. This year marks the bicentennial celebrations in Mexico. In the early hours of September 16, 1810 Father Hidalgo aided by Ignacio Allende, Dona Josefa Ortiz de Dominguez rang the bell of his little church calling out to everyone to fight for their liberty. This was the beginning of the Independence War which lasted ten years. The picture above is of one of my favorite monuments - El Angel de la Independencia. I loved this monument from when I was a little girl that lived in Mexico. Everytime I visit I have to go see "mi angel" it is beautiful. It is at a roundabout on Paseo de la Reforma.

Back in 2001, I had the opportunity to be in Mexico and flew out on September 10. I saw the Zocalo before I left and it was beautifully decorated for El Grito. As the plane took off I saw Mexico in a new light. It is my native country, a country who like any other country has had its own set of hardships but are proud of their ancestry. I love the USA and could not imagine living anywhere else; but on days like September 16 and Cinco de Mayo I have the responsibility to share the little bit of history that I know of my native country.

So with that said VIVA MEXICO!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It’s been a while

I have tried logging in and posting but my blog wasn’t there. Today I tried again and here it is. Life has been interesting. I had a Total K...