Monday, August 8, 2016

Beach Babe Classic

In July I participated in the Beach Babe Classic on Sunday, July 17.

I did a lot of riding, purchased road tires, and committed to riding long distance every Saturday morning.

I was super nervous the day before the ride.   The morning of the ride I was not feeling well and super nervous.  I loaded my bike on my car and off I went with very little sleep.

I met up with DW who I went to Lexington Junior High and Cypress High.  We also discovered I worked with her aunt at IAC.  Small world.

DW put a group together for this ride.


We started together but I went back to my car to get biking gloves and take off my ACL brace.  I then resumed and was going along against the wind.  I followed some people across the Naples section and realized we were taking a wrong turn.  I turned around and back tracked and found my way back.  As I came off the overpass  from 2nd Street towards PCH I saw a fire engine truck and a bike on the street.   I was like what the heck I hope none of my team members are there.  I got to the mid point for the 15 mile bike ride and I seriously thought of just doing the 15 miles but looked at my watch and knew I had enough time to make the entire ride.  I was still optimistic that I could make my time that I set.  I also wanted to make sure I conquered the hills that take you from Seal Beach to Sunset Beach on PCH.  I would ride this section a lot way back when I rode my bike all the time but this was different.  I was out of shape, recovering from ACL surgery and trying to do 38 miles in no more than 4 hours.  It was a lot easier than I imagined and I was excited.  I also knew I was riding agains the wind and going significantly slower than any of my training rides which made me nervous.  

I picked up my pace on the portion that had been a regular part of my training but as I started to see riders heading back my courage started to leave me.  I also let a lot of negative thoughts get in my head that I was a loser, dumb to think I could do this.  I also told myself that I could turn around and nobody would know that I didn't finish.  Which is when I told myself I would know and I didn't want to lie to anyone about not having been able to complete the ride.  I also did not want to not try doing the whole ride.  So off I went.  Around that time I also had some of the returning riders cheer me on and tell me I was almost there. 

My teammates also passed me when I was close to the pier and I felt so excited and also disappointed I was not able to keep up with them but I was even more determined to finish the ride.


I finally made it to the midpoint and I was super excited.  I also noticed my left knee was swollen.  I took my picture and started heading back.  I felt optimistic since I would not be going against the wind - WRONG!!!  I started to head against the wind again.

I picked up my pace and found new energy and off I went.  I think my energy lasted all the way to Sunset Beach and those hills between Seal and Sunset Beach seemed much harder. 

As I rode through Seal Beach a car parked and opened its door without looking.  I had to swerve to not hit it and the man was very apologetic and I did have to use my left leg to keep me balanced and not fall which jerked it and did not feel good as I kept riding.

I did have to walk my bike on the overpass to 2nd street as my knee was aching and I was tired.  I had a sense of wanting to quit but told myself that no matter how long it took I had to finish.  

I ran out of water in Alamitos Bay and stopped to buy some.  My knee was hurting even more and I found myself stopping and wanted to quit even more.  Each time I stopped and stretched my leg I wanted to just quit.  

People started passing me and telling me we were almost there.  I was by the Pike and caught up to a group and I saw them go one way but I opted to go on the official route.  I was nearing the 6th hour mark and I wanted to finish within the alloted race time.  I called DW to let her know where I was and she said she would go back to the finish line.  This sweet friend had been waiting for me but needed to get home.

I somehow made it and I have to say it felt good to have her waiting for me.  I am glad I did the ride.  I can also say that my legs were sore but not as sore as my bottom. 

I want to ride again in a race but maybe I need to train better. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

It’s been a while

I have tried logging in and posting but my blog wasn’t there. Today I tried again and here it is. Life has been interesting. I had a Total K...