Sunday, September 6, 2015

Ava Mae

This past month my long time friends mother passed away.  Cathy is one of my friends that I have known for the longest time (we met in the playground at Cawthon).  

Growing up we were inseparable and spent hours riding our bikes around Cypress, Buena Park and Anaheim - or maybe not.  In other words we did, but we were not supposed to do that. We are now adults and in our own worlds but I still cherish the friendship and the memories we created in our youth.

This past month Ava (Cathy's mom) passed away.  It was not unexpected but as with any person's passing it was surprising.  

Fortunately I was able to attend the Rosary the night before her service but from the time I received the text that she had passed I just had a flood of memories and feeling come over me.  

As I remembered her driving us to catechism, Skateway or wherever else we wanted or needed to go.  She was the one person that took me to play Bingo at St I for the first time.  For some reason, I also can remember her saying " Now, girlls" just to get our attention.  I also remember the year she bought us matching sweatshirts for Christmas   As we got older she would call us and ask us to go help her at whatever store she was working and needed help (she was a manager for Jack in the Box).  So thanks to those cleaning days I refuse to eat there.  I've cleaned those grills no way am I eating there because I know neither Cathy or I are cleaning them.

It was nice to be there and recall all those memories and the kindness this family offered me in my youth.  It also surprised me at how I truly mourned all over again for my mom.  A couple of weeks before that another good friends dad had passed and I was surprised at how it impacted me and maybe that was just to prepare me for this event.  

So no matter what you may believe about life - I just want you to know that I know we will see those who have passed before us again.  I know they are watching over us and no longer in pain.  Yes, it is sad for us as we are separated for a short while but we will be together again.  

Oh and for a couple of hours I was once again spending time with my childhood friend once again - hopefully bringing her some comfort during this trying time and feeling gratitude for having had her and her family in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It’s been a while

I have tried logging in and posting but my blog wasn’t there. Today I tried again and here it is. Life has been interesting. I had a Total K...