Monday, February 18, 2019

Looking for a Job


I began looking for a job in early November and it is hard to find a job while you have a job in my opinion.  Doing phone interviews is easy but scheduling a face to face in person interview is hard.  I had at least two where things were being setup and I would have to reschedule because my work had to come first.  This is what led to my decision in resigning.  

The first few days I was off I was surprised I had done such a gutsy move to move on without a job and that I had planned a trip to Arizona to attend a health and wellness conference for the wellness company that I am a part of.  I made a commitment to myself that I would have to apply to ten jobs each day, work out every day and just keep busy.  I can honestly say I think I did apply to ten jobs the first day; working out I am trying to do that and modified my goal a couple of times - that's another opportunity to blog. 

I do look for opportunities every day.  I apply to the ones that I think I am the best fit for and I wait.  I have done phone, Skype, WhatsApp, video, and in person interviews.  I was offered a job on the spot but it was rescinded by the time I was home because the manager reflected on my hesitation to accept and decided I was not a team player.  I have been completely ghosted by headhunters after they have reassured me I was the top candidate. 

While I have not applied to ten jobs every day I am sure I have applied to at least 100 since January 4.  
  • Am I discouraged ?  Not yet.  
  • Am I disappointed ? Not really, OK maybe a little.  
  • Have I learned anything?  Yes, or at least I have reinforced what I already knew from the recruiting I have done.  If someone takes the time to complete your application, spend time with you on the phone, drive to your office for an interview.  Be transparent, let them know when you have chosen to go with another candidate.  Why?  Because that individual took time from their schedule to see if there was a good match.  Maybe they were not this time and maybe down the line your paths will cross and they may not consider you because of how you treated them during the interview process and it is no wonder candidates ghost recruiters as recruiters ghost candidates. 
Today was a holiday and I appreciated the headhunter who called me today that the company I interviewed with last week has opted to pursue another candidate.  The phone interview I thought I had an interview with today did not happen and I even called the recruiter to follow up.  I applied to a couple of positions and I have done three loads of laundry that I must now go fold.  BTW right after I posted this I received the call for my phone interview 5 minutes before the call.  😅  I think it went well.

Oh and if you have a job that you think I would be good at - call me, maybe!?

No comments:

Post a Comment

It’s been a while

I have tried logging in and posting but my blog wasn’t there. Today I tried again and here it is. Life has been interesting. I had a Total K...