Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Week Four

Things I forgot from my last post. 

Schools in TX shutdown for the flu.  Apparently if a specific number of students are out ill then they shut down the school.  While I found it odd, I also found it to be genius.  Why spread around the germs?  So I saw a school flu shut down last week.  

I still have not changed my stations on my car radio.  Car insurance is double what it is in CA.  😏

So this week so far:

 Monday - I accepted a job offer for a position with a city.  I already did my drug screen, waiting on the background check results and reference checks. 

I went to try running and while I managed to do almost 2 miles it was painful on my knee.  The Hot Chocolate run is this Saturday and I am nervous.

I also went to see Coco, my first movie of 2018 and I fell walking to my seat.  I was distracted by seeing someone in the seats I purchased and looking at my ticket.  I was so embarrassed.  I also knew that this was a movie I would have seen and loved with my movie buddies Sharon and Wendy.  The most exciting thing to me was when we were leaving I went to the bathroom and saw that there was Tornado Shelter sign on the women's bathroom door but not the men's.  Not sure why that was but interesting.   

Tuesday - I woke up with a big bruise on my right thigh and my ankle was hurting a lot and my knee was still swollen from running.   So I took the day off.  I did have to go do my drug screen and that was interesting.  I was 10 minutes away and I had to turn around and go back to the house.  Now keep in mind that the place is 50 miles away.  Then I of course had to go back to do the drug screen.  While I was there I learned they had flu shots so I got mine.   Have to make those 200 miles count.  I also treated myself to a brisket sandwich for dinner.  

Wednesday - I somehow deleted what I had previously written last week so I will do my best.  I do know I ran and I did about 1.69 miles in 30 minutes.  I was not happy with my time but I ran a good portion and it could have been worse.  My new shoes did create a nice little blister on my left heel which was just what I needed.  I also found out that they needed volunteers to handout participants bibs and such on Thursday and Friday so I figured that as I am not working why not volunteer.  I thought it would hopefully keep me motivated to be around the positive energy and enthusiasm.  I was also a bit concerned that seeing fit runners would make me want to not participate.  

Thursday - I did see the super fit runners and the not so fit participants so I knew I would be ok.  I had fun overall and was looking forward to volunteering on Friday.  

Friday - I didn't do a whole lot just kind of hung out and got ready for race day.  I went to bed early.  My social life is in almost flatline mode.  


Saturday - I woke up at 4:45 and jumped and took a quick rinse shower to make sure I would be alert on the drive.  I made it to the Texas State Fair Grounds quickly but there was a line to get into the parking lot.  My next line was for the women's bathroom and of course only a few stalls had toilet paper.  Fortunately, I was able to get a stall that had toilet paper.  I then headed to my corral which was G.  I opted to go in the one that allowed you to walk which was corral H.  People were fun and nice.  I tried to find Tammy as she and her daughter were in G but it was crowded and they were in the middle.  I was super excited with my start when I realized I was doing a 15 minute pace.  However, I once again had to stop for the port o potty line.  I can't drink water and be in the cold weather without having to use the bathroom.  I was hopeful it would be semi clean but no such luck - I was disgusted and wanted to toss my cookies.  Oh wait, I had no cookies to toss just the hard boiled eggs I ate.  So off I went but have you tried running when you want to throw up?  So I just never got my pace back to 15 minutes and I stopped to take pictures.  I did finish in 1:00:07 so I hope I can cut my time in half for next year. That night I went back to Lava Cantina to listen to an 80's cover band and had a lot of fun.  We stayed afterwards and danced.  I was home around 1:30 AM.  



Sunday - celebrated M's birthday.  Watched the Super Bowl which was a great game.  I enjoyed seeing the Eagles win.  The best part was watching it with Garth - haven't done that in decades and it just reminded me of those days we'd watch the bowls on New Years Day or Super Bowl.  

Clearly I have fallen behind again on my post but I am hanging in there trying to keep people posted. 

Oh yeah and I did speak with my sil Elaine, Spencer and David this past week.


Also, I don't recall if I shared this picture but a week ago this was the view right outside the front door.  A couple of hot air balloons were out.  
It was so amazing  to see them so close.  Looking forward to the Balloon Festival next fall in Plano I think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It’s been a while

I have tried logging in and posting but my blog wasn’t there. Today I tried again and here it is. Life has been interesting. I had a Total K...